5.15.2011

Budding Multi-Faceted Colorado: JOY JALANDO-ON

Whoever said that makeup's merely the superficial cover-up for flaws must be out of their minds.
Being a devotee of natural, effortless beauty, I was a sick believer of that philosophy at some point, too.
But for our independent beauty consultant here, beauty is acceptance---loving and appreciating herself despite the imperfections.
More than any colorful mask, she considers make up as an expression of creativity to confidently embrace who she is and who she isn't, enhancing what she already has.

Read on for an inside scoop of this talented girl's art gallery with her face as the canvass as she re-tells the story behind the diagonal scar on her forehead that intensified her love for life and acceptance of self. 

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************


NAME: JOY G. JALANDO-ON

AGE: 22

HOMETOWN: BACOLOD CITY

OCCUPATION: REGISTERED NURSE / INDEPENDENT

 BEAUTY CONSULTANT - MARY KAY, PHILS.

DOING MAKEUP SINCE: 2ND GRADE 

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

All Because of Mom.
Mommy influence? This lass is no exception.
"I got my first inspiration from my mom. She really is not into makeup but  I came to know (and love) makeup because of her. I watch Youtube makeup gurus and the first guru I've encountered is Fafinettex3.
My favorites are Michelle Phan, Promise Phan, Jen Wan, Julieg713, xteeener - they're all Youtube gurus so I don't know their real names."






Inside Her Purse.

Eyeshadows: Penshoppe, Lancome, Aido, Nichido, Elf, Fashion 21
Foundations: Mary Kay, Fashion 21
Lipstick: Lancome, San San
Mascara: Avon
Blush: Nichido
Eyeliner: Nichido
Powder: Garnier, Maybelline

"I get them from Department Stores, some items are my mom's, some were given as gifts. 
I'm currently an Independent Beauty Consultant for Mary Kay so I'm starting to use their products, too."


False Lashes!

Tone Up or Down.
"I can't really say that I have favorites because all colors are great. I just find yellows, pinks and reds hard to blend. They're somehow unflattering with my eyes and skin color."







Costumes and Customs.
"For themes, I usually do looks when I feel inspired. It's like when an idea pops into my mind I immediately do it. I definitely find costume makeup / transformation makeup interesting. Because it's challenging but at the same time I can really see and feel my work. My friends request looks, too."

Apart from doing makeup, Joy's also on her way to learning how to sew so she can make her own costumes. She admits that her skills on hairstyling are simply basic but with her constant exhibitions, she certainly is not far from working with such like a pro.



The Black Swan.


Zombie.

Dropped-Down Gorgeous.
As the nurse that she is, Joy knows well that hypoglycemia (decreased blood sugar) is not the blamable party with regards to her accident. "I was eating chocolate, marshmallows and drinking vitamin water -- I wasn't on a diet then. It was orthostatic hypotension. Because I snappily got up from bed and walked my way to the restroom." 
Orthostatic or postural hypotension occurs when the blood pressure suddenly falls when a person stands up or stretches.
The poorly ventilated restroom also had its share on the incident. 
"Everything happened so fast. I got extremely dizzy like everything in sight was revolving. I lost consciousness and woke up with a wound on my face and chipped teeth." 


Forest Nymph.


The Red Queen.

Change of Heart.
"After that accident, I told myself that I would refrain from all my vices." She openly confesses though that she gets stubborn at times and fails herself. 
"I actually became a little paranoid and emotional because I thought my frontal lobe was affected. I got conscious with the scar but this scar is the reminder that I need to live my life without regrets. I need to do the things I love because I will never know what could happen next."







Also On Freelance.
"Working with Mary Kay, Phils., my first clients were my aunt and my cousin. I sell their products and am currently in the process of finding potential clients and making schedules for basic skincare classes.
I offered free service to my first clients because the experience I got was already worth it."






Choosing Paths.
"I'd really want to be a professional makeup artist and train in a makeup school but I guess I'll do things one at a time. I still have plans of going back to school and pursue medicine. If permitted, I think I could joggle these two well--be a doctor and a makeup artist at the same time."






Her photos appear to be of high-quality, eh?
"It's all in the lighting. Natural day light makes great photos." Joy uses her handy Samsung PL55 camera for her makeup posts and at times, edit them in Picasa.




Random Q&A.
Given the chance to do the makeup of one person, who would that be?
"Hhhmmm... Lady Gaga. It will be awesome to work with Lady Gaga."

Favorite part of the/your face?
 "Eyes. Most expressions involve the eyes. I can use more colors on them than on any other part of the face."







Beauty Advice.
Who wouldn't be humbled by Joy's humility and beauty philosophies— they’re pretty basic thus oftentimes overlooked, but they mean a lot.  
"Practice. Experiment. Never settle for what works. Always try things out and never stop learning. Just keep an open-mind."


“Finding your beauty isn't about looking exactly like everyone else. It's about accepting yourself—the parts you love and the parts you don't—and then working with all of it.”- Scott Barnes


Contact Details: 
More of these photos on her Facebook
Follow her on Twitter
Email: sunorangejoy@yahoo.com
Mobile: 09105677384


***

Thanks for sharing these, Joy!
It was almost effortless putting all these together because you answered the questions very well.
I hope a collaboration's coming soon.



Much love,
Mela


2 comments:

  1. that's my cousin up there! yey. two-thumbs up.
    great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Star! You have a very gifted cousin! :)

      Delete

What do you think of this post? I'd love to hear from you! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...